Sunday, February 19, 2006

Not A Girl Detective

From Not A Girl Detective, by Susan Kandel, about an amateur sleuth who idolizes Nancy Drew:

"I'd been asked to give the keynote address at the annual Nancy Drew fan convention. Some persons in my life had found the very idea amusing. Like my daughter Annie and her husband Vincent, who about choked on their Komubucha mushroom tea when I told them...It was a paycheck, for god's sake. When you write biographies of dead mystery writers for a living, you need as many of those as you can get. And it would be great publicity for the new book, which was almost finished. But I was nervous. Those fans knew a hell of a lot, and they'd probably love to catch me in a mistake, like not knowing that the spine silhouette for number 24 was missing a scarf. Or that early printings of number 18, The Mystery of the Moss-Colored Mansion, made reference to the forthcoming volume as The Quest of the Telltale Map when it was actually printed as The Quest of the Missing Map.

Fan is short for fanatic."