Sunday, August 21, 2005

Fireworks and cover art

Hunter S. Thompson's remains blast off in the company of fireworks.

Recommended blogging: Best-selling author Tess Gerritson on the importance of cover art in selling books.

In The Atlantic summer fiction issue, author Curtis Sittenfeld writes about watching her first novel become a bestseller. She angsts over an early review, but "Eventually that review forced me to realize that I had to be the one who decided whether or not my novel was a success or a failure; if I believed that only a publication or another person could legitimize my work in a way that felt permanent and satisfying, I'd be waiting a long, long time."

She also relates the humbling experience of having her taxes done at H&R Block:
    "What's (your book) called?" the guy asked.

    "Prep," I said.

    "Crap?"

    We were sitting in a long room of desks and computers, surrounded by other people working on taxes. More loudly I said, "Prep."

    More loudly he said, "Crap?"

    "Prep, as in prep school!" I finally exploded.